Monday, August 6, 2018

First Semi-Final

Ballarat Miners def. by Geelong Supercats 65-90

The Ballarat Miners have been knocked out of the finals in straight sets after a 25-point defeat at the hands of Geelong.

Only one week removed from narrowly falling to the minor premiers Nunawading by six points, the Miners have lost in dramatic fashion to drop out of the finals race.

The Supercats were paced by Demarcus Gatlin who had 22 points, 10 rebounds and 6 assists as the visitors got out to a 6-point lead at the conclusion of the first period.

Peter Hooley had an inefficient night shooting, going 6-17 from the floor for 17 points. The Ballarat captain managed 5 rebounds and 4 assists while succumbing to 6 turnovers. While Nic Pozoglou couldn’t match the heights of his last week’s game, registering just 10 points and 6 rebounds which was good enough for Ballarat’s second highest scorer.

In the second period Geelong opened up a commanding lead as they ballooned the buffer out to 14 points. Nathan Herbert shot 1-9 from three and 8-9 from two on his way to 20 points for an intriguing shooting performance while the Supercats had five players reach double digits.

Gatlin (22 points), Herbert (20 points), Davis (14 points), Luxford (10 points) and McInerney (10 points) led the way for Geelong.

The Miners struggled shooting from beyond the arc as they went 3-21 from downtown. The home team had a rough night shooting the ball as they shot 36% from the field, severely limiting their offensive output.

Going into the last quarter the Miners trailed by 15 but it was the Supercats who rallied, further extending the margin. The final score read 65-90 in the visitors favour as Ballarat dropped out of the final’s race.

The Miners had struggled to deal with the loss of Davon Usher who returned to the USA in late June for surgery.

The 5th placed Supercats will now play the Hobart Chargers in Tasmania next Friday night at 7:30pm.


Second Semi-Final

Kilsyth Cobras def. Bendigo Braves 111-88

Kilsyth have advanced to the preliminary finals with a convincing 23-point win over Bendigo at home.

Isaac Turner led the way for the Cobras with 30 points as Kilsyth had 6 players score in double digits. The home team got off to a fast start thanks to 9 points from Chris Patton in the first period as the Cobras took a 31-19 lead into the second quarter.

Bendigo managed to cut the Kilsyth lead back to just 4 with two minutes remaining before a 10-0 run from the Cobras swung the momentum back in the home teams favour. At the main break Kilsyth held a 58-44 lead.

The Cobras were capitalising with points off turnovers and it continued to be the catalyst in the third period as they continued to build on their lead. 13 third quarter points from Jeremy Kendle kept the scoreboard ticking over for Bendigo but another 9 points to Kilsyth captain Chris Patton helped bolster his team’s lead to 19 at the end of the third.

With the game just about out of reach in the last period, the Cobras continued their hot offensive night. Dropping 26 points in the last quarter to eventually run out 111-88 winners. Efficient shooting was the story for both sides as Kilsyth shot a lights out 56% while Bendigo’s 50% from the field still wasn’t enough.

Kilsyth capitalised off of Bendigo’s turnovers all night, scoring 28 points from turnovers compared to the Braves’ 7.

Chris Patton finished with 21 points in just 18 minutes while Sam Daly (13 points), Dane Pineau (10 points, 9 boards) and Owen Odigie (10 points, 4 steals) were all important contributors to go along with Isaac Turner’s 30 points.

For Bendigo, Ray Turner finished his season in style with 27 points and 9 rebounds while Jeremy Kendle had 16 points and 7 assists.

The result means Kilsyth will play minor premiers Nunawading at the graveyard on Saturday 11th August at 7:30pm.